Here are twelve important safety tips for using your fondue pot.
1. Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions packaged with your fondue pot. Read all the directions and warnings on fuel containers. NEVER heat hot oil in an earthenware, ceramic or stoneware fondue pot.
2. To prevent cracking, do not heat a ceramic, stoneware or earthenware fondue pot when empty.
3. Warm foods over low to medium-low heat for a brief period; a heat diffuser can add extra protection.
4. Make sure the handles are securely attached before you pick up a filled fondue pot.
5. At the table, place the fondue base on a heatproof surface like a thick wooden cutting board or colorful ceramic tiles.
6. Fill the fuel cup with fondue fuel. If alcohol fuel splashes, wipe it up; wash and dry your hands. Fit fuel cup into the fondue stand. Close the liquid alcohol bottle and remove from the lighting area. Light the fuel with a long match. Once lit, do not move or tip the burner.
7. NEVER ADD FUEL TO A HOT FUEL CUP, with or without a flame. Some pots come with an extra fuel cup, which you can safely fill and replace if the fuel runs out. Fuel cups are inexpensive; keep a second one on hand.
8. NEVER try to extinguish a burner by blowing out the flame. It can spread over the table. Use the flame snuffer included with your fondue set.
9. Remind diners, especially children, that a fondue fork dipping into boiling hot broth or oil can cause burns if placed in the mouth.
10. NEVER leave a hot fondue pot unattended in the presence of children.
11. Tie or tape the electric fondue pot cord to a table leg to prevent unintentionally pulling over the pot.
12. Unplug the electric pot immediately after use. Do not pour cold water into a hot fondue pot, no matter what material it is made from. Avoid rapid temperature changes.
Fondue pot information taken from the cookbook, Fondues & Hot Pots, by Susan Fuller Slack, (HP Books, Berkley Publishing Group).
In the category, Cooking by the Book, check out the post, Fondue Fun for Fall. Try the recipe for Fondue Chinoise.